Thursday 20 January 2011

Tanjong Pagar United FC

16 years ago, I was an S-league fanatic. I supported Tiong Bahru United Football club , which later changed their name to Tanjong Pagar United Football Club. (a.k.a The Jaguars) .
I followed them throughout all their home matches at Queenstown stadium and also to their away matches all over Singapore ( Bedok, Woodlands, Sembawang , Tampines etc..) for many many years. Even when I was in camp, if there were any nights off, I will book out to catch their matches.
Aidi will always be at those matches with me, he was a fanatic too. Usually we will meet earlier in the afternoon for movies/shopping/dinner wearing our jerseys and than proceed to the matches together. Man, those were fun times indeed.
The Jaguars were a good team with a great fan base (good matches and Queenstown stadium will easily be packed to close to 3500 fans) but unfortunately, we never won the S League. Finished 2nd in 1998 but won the Singapore Cup. 1998 was a glorious year for us as we had probably the best player I have seen in S League, Majid Motlagh (from Iran) We also had Dragan, Tong Hai, Steven , Nico , and Saswa to name but a few.
I have stopped following S League ever since The Jaguars pulled out of the competition due to financial difficulties.
Why am I writing this? Mr. Zainuddin has just announced that Tanjong Pagar United FC has rejoined the S League for 2011 ;o) Maybe its time I pay more attention to our local league again. Aidi, you on?? ha..

Club Badge

Queenstown Stadium - The Jaguars Den

2 comments:

  1. hey Kim from the current Tanjong Pagar United Fan Club, i am trying to rebuild back the fan club and relive the Jaguars' famous fan club days. If you are in contact with the 1997-1999 fan club, can you please please share with me. I am really having trouble finding fans from back then. And well if you wanna join the fan club, you are more than welcome to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, i am sorry but i was not part of the "official" fan club back then, though i always sit close to them. Thus, i do not have any contacts to share with you. Good to hear that you are making an effort to rebuild the fan base, all the best!
    So far, I have not caught any Jags matches this season.. I do hope they return to Queenstown Stadium though.

    ReplyDelete